Thursday, January 6, 2011

Warm Up Your Belly

It's been awhile since I have posted a recipe, so I thought this one would be perfect for my first one to share this year. I made this for our New Year's Eve gathering. I think of soup and chili during the cold winter months. It's my favorite thing to eat this time of year. I first saw this recipe in a Paula Deen magazine. It was a winning recipe submitted by a reader for a contest. The name is a mouthful, and beware because it does have a kick to it. I scale back on some of the ingredients if I don't want it so spicy. Enjoy!

Cheezy Black Eyed Pea Chicken Chili

Ingredients

3 tablespoons canola oil
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
1 tablespoon Paula’s House Seasoning
2 cups chopped white onion
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
1 (15-ounce) can seasoned black-eyed peas (I use Sylvia's or Glory brand)
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 cup water
1 (1.25-ounce) package white chicken chili seasoning
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 (8-ounce) package Velveeta cheese, cubed

Instructions:

In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat.
Sprinkle chicken with House Seasoning. Add to Dutch oven, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until all sides are browned. Add onion and red bell pepper, and cook for 7 minutes. Add garlic; cook for 2 minutes. Stir black-eyed peas in diced tomatoes, water, white chicken chili seasoning, chili powder and cumin. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cubed Velveeta, and stir until cheese is melted. Remove from heat. You can garnish with sour cream and chives.

In case you don't already have a container stashed away in a cabinet, this is the recipe for Paula's house seasoning. I use it on everything!

1 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup fresh ground black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder

No comments:

Post a Comment