Saturday, May 8, 2010

All aboard!

Stella got her first book from Reading Railroad in the mail today, "The Little Engine That Could." I am so thankful that our community sponsors this program through Dolly Parton's Imagination Library. All children from birth to 5 years receive a book each month. Stella loves story time already. The bright illustrations hold her attention as she listens to us read. I hope you will register your child for the program or tell others about it. If you live in Obion County, you can visit the Rotary Club's website for more information and to download the registration form.

Mom informed me the other day that she potty trained Sis and I by reading books. She said she could keep us in there as long as necessary by handing us a stack. Too funny! Dawn and I still enjoy our books and magazines.

Here is a staggering statistic for you: 50% of American adults cannot read an 8th grade level book. It is hard to believe, but true. It is sad to see some of the other statistics. Google "literacy statistics" if you are interested. When I hear the numbers I think about those who I went to school with, possibly sat beside, that were never able to read over a 5th grade level. That's 20% of the American adult population. That is why programs like Reading Railroad are so wonderful! Many kids can now get their hands on books well before they reach Kindergarten, boosting their chances to become excellent readers. It's estimated that children in the early school years learn eight words each day. That's nearly 3,000 words per year! Children are just little sponges ready to soak in all that we can teach them.

And this has been your public service announcement for the day! :)

3 comments:

  1. Sam is signed up, too! Can't wait for his first one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know how I feel about Dolly. :) This is a great program, and you're right about reading. It's a wonderful idea to start kids young.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was nothing I would rather have when I was little than a book well, and jewelry - that hasn't changed. ;o)

    ReplyDelete