Monday, April 12, 2010

This will be "sew" fun!

You readers know by now that I have a deep love for Etsy. If you are the least bit creative, browse this site! It will inspire you. If you aren't creative but enjoy the works of others, go there to make purchases. I have a goal to start an Etsy store one day. I am in no hurry because I am not exactly sure what goods I want to sell in the first place. I just think it would be a great way to create for others to enjoy, and even make some spare cash.

So this leads me to my new hobby, sewing! Well, I technically can't consider it a hobby yet. I don't even know how to do it at this point other that sewing on a button. It is one of the many things that I was interested in growing up, but never got around to trying or learning. My mom is an excellent crafter, baker, and creator. She was lovingly referred to as the "PTA Queen" by my great friend, Tommy, when we were in school. I learned many things from her as a child and young adult, but some I still haven't got around to quite yet. She has agreed to help me learn and get my feet wet. I am so excited! I may have gone a little overboard already. I purchased 4 patterns and some fabric from a great designer called Heather Bailey. As soon as everything arrives, I hope to get started. There can't be anything much easier to start out on than baby clothes. Many patterns are just basic rompers, bubble suits, and dresses. If you play around with cool fabrics and even embroidery, they can turn out so cute! (like the ones I have been eyeing on Etsy) Another inspiration for sewing came from the brand Matilda Jane. They have awesome clothes, but none quite small enough for Stella. However, if I can learn to sew well, who needs Matilda Jane? Their clothes are mostly knot dresses, peasant tops, and ruffle pants made with interesting fabrics. I can handle that! Watch out Project Runway.

Here are some Matilda Jane pieces that I love.





This is something that I found on Etsy. I can do this! (I hope. . .)




I am also saving up for an embroidery machine. They can be sort of pricey, but I think it will get TONS of use. They are so advanced now, even for home use. I plan on downloading lots of fun fonts and designs so I can monogram and create appliques for Stella's outfits and accessories. It would also come in handy for making gifts for others. Monogramming has been popular for a very long time. Remember Laverne's "L" on Laverne and Shirley? Haha!

When my first creation is complete, I will be blogging for sure. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. You can even jazz up Ste's softball uniform. I'll be he can't wait!

    Ahh...and yes. Martha had (and has) nothing on your mom.

    ReplyDelete